Making Ice Cream at Home
NOTE: While I don’t use an ice cream maker, I do suggest a hand mixer but this can be done with as little as a fork/spoon to mix things(doing that sucks though).
So here’s what I used to make the pic below:
2 Cups / 475 mL -> Heavy Cream
1 Cup / 237 mL -> Evaporated Milk
3/4 Cup / 177 mL -> Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (I used vanilla flavoring)
Pinch of salt
- 6 oz Blackberry
Note that this is added to taste and 6 oz is only what I had on hand at the time of making.
- Prep the bowls/ingredients
Take a medium sized bowl and place into a much larger bowl. Before you open them, toss the milk/cream into the bowls to chill for about 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Ice the larger bowl
Put ice + salt into the larger bowl and mix. This lowers the freezing point of the ice so it melts and gets supercooled in the freezer;chilling the ice cream more evenly later on. Put enough ice to line the smaller bowl.
- Basically dump everything into the small bowl and mix until the mixture is peaking.
It’s gonna seem like your making a whipped cream at this point, but that’s because we’re dumping as much air as we can upfront instead of later.
- Toss in the freezer until the top has the consistency of ice cream.
- For any fruit chunks seperate the fluid out to pour into the base mixture.
I do this for color/flavoring, but mostly color.
- Finally mix in the chunks and seal in a sealable container in the freezer.